The Syllabus Form
The syllabus form is a set of applications strung together in a particular way. This version was finalised on September 13th 2014, and replaces the previous version within the syllabus. Directions: original facing direction = North. Direction you are facing at the end of each step is noted with a single, double or triple capital letter, N,S,E,W, NE, SSW etc. All left-right instructions are for right-handers; left-handers should reverse them.
I: Drawing the sword (defence against dagger mandritto attack)
1. Holding the sword and scabbard against the shoulder, step back with right foot, parry dagger strike (from above against crook of elbow), draw sword and thrust low, then thrust high in fenestra destra. N
II: Sword Handling (Farfalla di Ferro)
2. Mandritto fendente with pass through to dente di zenghiaro 3. Continue up to fenestra sinestra, roverso punta 4. Roverso fendente with pass (through posta di coda longa to posta di fenestra), end in rear-weighted stance. N
• III: Exchange of thrust (Against a thrust to the face from fenestra destra) 5. Exchange the thrust (with accrescere fora di strada and passo ala traversa) 6. Continue to hilt grab and disarm (with meza volta (left foot) and tutta volta), thrust low E
• IV: Feint 7. Feint low thrust with one hand, as opponent exchanges, disengage under, wind to high one-handed thrust with pass diagonally forward with right foot 8. As opponent parries, yield and cut mandritto fendente, with left foot sidestep to donna la sinestra 9. Look over right shoulder - you’re now in rear-weighted donna sinestra S
• V: Rompere di punta (Against a thrust to the face from fenestra destra) 10. Break the thrust with a roverso fendente (with an accrescere fora di strada and passo ala traversa). SSW
• VI: Rompere di punta (Against a thrust to the belly from zenghiaro) 11. Break the thrust: Grab the blade with a mandritto fendente, keeping the hands low, and accrescere fora di strada and passo ala traversa, 12. False edge mezano roverso to the throat. 13. Follow through with a roverso fendente to his head, passing to tutta porta di ferro. S -- • VII: Rebattere (against a mandritto fendente to the head) 14. Parry with frontale, 15. Cut over his arms with a mandritto fendente, with a passo fora di strada 16. Thrust to chest in bicorno, with a pass. SE
• VIII: Master of the sword in one hand (against a mandritto fendente to the head) 17. Lower sword to the guard of the sword in one hand, let go with pommel hand, look over your shoulder 18. Rebattere with a true edge roverso sottano, accompanied by an acrescimento, and extending the left hand forward. (attacker resists the parry) 19. Pass in with a ligadura mezana and thrust high. 20. Mandritto fendente with a pass (right foot) and tutta volta, 135 degrees round finishing in dente di zenghiaro. N
• IX: Rebattere from the left (against a mandritto fendente to the head) 21. Parry with false edge roverso sottano accompanied by an acressere fora di strada. 22. Mandritto fendente through dente di zenghiaro to posta di donna sinestra, rear weighted. N
• X: Sword Handling 23. Roverso fendente with pass to coda longa 24. Immediately thrust to bicorno, with another pass. N
• XI: Punta falsa (against a mandritto fendente to the head, from NE) 25. Parry with frontale, with a tornare of the left foot, opponent’s sword is beaten wide 26. Strike mezano to the face with a diagonal sidestep of the right foot (passo fora di strada) 27. Opponent parries: execute the punta falsa, with a pass in with the left foot (NE) 28. Opponent parries: throw the hilt at his head with the right hand shifting to the blade (Master of Sword-As-Axe) 29. Volta stabile and shift the right foot and right hand to end in vera croce. N
• XII: First play of the sword in armour (against a thrust from posta breve into bicorno, to your neck) 30. Half sword cover with a volta stabile. 31. Half sword thrust with a pass. N
• XIII: Sottani applications (against a mandritto fendente to the head, from S) 32. False edge roverso sottano with one hand, and tornare of right foot. 33. Mandritto sottano with left foot passo fora di strada. 34. Roverso fendente to head or arms, continuing through to posta di donna destra, rear weighted (S)
• XIV: Counterattack, and Stretto Play (against a mandritto fendente to the head, from S) 35. Discrescere offline to posta di donna destra la soprana (hands over head); opponent attacks 36. Counterattack with mandritto fendente, passo fora di strada. 37. Attacker parries; yield and enter with pommel strike and pass with left foot. 38. Mandritto fendente to coda longa, with discrescere to shorten the stance. S.
XV: Colpo di Villano (against overwhelmingly powerful mandritto fendente, from S) 39. Meet it with frontale, with an acrescere fora di strada 40. Allow opponent’s sword to blow through (looks like a molinello) and strike a roverso fendente to his head, with passo ala traversa (right foot). 41. Pass again, covering low in tutta porta di ferro, and tutta volta to end N.
XVI: Blade grab, 4th play of the master of the zogho largo crossed at the middle of the swords. (against a mandritto fendente to the head, from N) 42. Parry with frontale, opponent’s sword remains in reach. 43. Accrescere to grab his blade with left hand. 43. Strike a mandritto fendente to his head 44. Kick him just below the knee with the right foot. 45. Thrust low 46. Smash his blade into his own neck and thrust high. N.
XVII: Withdraw under cover until out of measure. (Farfalla di Ferro, parts one and two, going backwards.) 47. Mandritto fendente with tornare; 48. Cut through to fenestra sinestra, thrust, 49. Roverso fendente with tornare, 50. Cut through to fenestra destra. Finish.
(with thanks to Rory in Seattle for writing it up)
The video shows the form and its applications
please note that the Syllabus Form Applications Drill has yet to be updated; that is due in October 2014.